Is it the right time to migrate from Dynamics NAV to Dynamics 365 Business Central?
It is okay to assume that migrating from Dynamics NAV or any legacy software to Business Central can seem like a daunting thought, especially if you have continued using it for a long time. And, the process of change management and maintaining business continuity may look like an enormous challenge now.
However, timely migration from legacy software solutions is critical and inevitable. Here’s why.
What is more important to understand is that every software will grow to be obsolete and your business needs will evolve. Abruptly or gradually, your organization will need to upgrade or migrate to a new system to replace the gaps in the legacy system. Slowly, every company will transition to a more flexible, scalable, and extensible modern ERP solution.
Increasingly, companies are moving to cloud-based business management solutions like Dynamics 365 Business Central, but let us dig deeper to find out what is causing this sudden influx in transition?
Are you familiarized with Dynamics NAV and its challenges?
Dynamics NAV originated from Navision, acted as more of an accounting application, which was later acquired by Microsoft in 2002.
Subsequently, Microsoft saw the correct time and introduced Dynamics NAV as a CRM and ERP solution, including all ERP features. Only in 2018, Microsoft presented and launched a new and more comprehensive business management solution- Dynamics 365 Business Central. All the challenges and customizations in NAV was carefully addressed in Business Central.
Dynamics NAV was no doubt flexible and allowed customizations but extended the period of deployment. To deliver faster and offer value, Microsoft and other partners gradually wanted to shift to a solution that could provide all features out of the box without investing in customization. Also, NAV offered a large spread of features which went unused by customers, but they kept paying for the extra modules. So far, many customers on-premises software versions have paid incessantly for maintenance and infrastructure.
In the age of cloud, more and more users and organizations are searching for cloud-based options for business operations, and this criterion automatically made NAV obsolete and outdated. In fact, Microsoft stopped all upgrades and support for the software, which made existing customers anxious.
“According to a Deloitte survey, more than 80% of SMBs that use the cloud believe it enables them to scale and grow faster.”
What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Since its inception, Microsoft has ventured into the finest range of Dynamics 365 solutions that apply to all businesses and industries. Dynamics 365 Business Central, introduced in 2018, stands as a highly rated ERP solution, catering to maximum business problems.
Dynamics 365 Business Central is a business management solution that connects people and processes with a single and unified solution. It equips your team with secure automation tools that make ordering, selling, invoicing and reporting easier and faster.
Dynamics 365 Business Central is the new version of Finance and Operations, Business edition application and will include full NAV capabilities, ranging from financial and operations management to sales and service. Dynamics 365 Business Central is an application delivered only through the cloud.
Dynamics NAV is a valuable solution for those who need an advanced and secure on-premises solution to manage internal operations and ready to bear all costs associated with server implementation within premises. The core functionality and UI for both solutions are similar with minor variations in navigation. Also, there are a few standard features common in the two applications such as inventory, worksheet, controls, etc. yet there are significant differences from a business expansion standpoint.
Why are companies migrating operational processes to Dynamics 365?
Now, coming back to the reasons why customers are shifting from NAV to Dynamics 365 Business Central-
- First and foremost, Business central is the current and latest ERP solution on the Dynamics 365 platform. Microsoft has discontinued the support and production for Dynamics NAV.
- Dynamics 365 Business Central is a cloud-based solution while Microsoft Dynamics Navision is an on-premise solution.
- NAV offered flexibility for customization, but the process extended the implementation cycle time. Business Central ensures reduced dependency on customization as the platform is equipped to support all functions out of the box without the need for customization. Yet, it brings a more advanced experience with greater access to apps and customization options.
- One crucial piece missing in NAV is the seamless integration with other Microsoft apps. If you migrate to Business Central, you can take advantage of Microsoft 365, and features like Power BI. Besides this, you can also enjoy optimized search capabilities, customizations, seamless upgrades, lower maintenance costs, and subscription licensing.
- Business Central is also renowned for its new development tools.
Future business needs demand futuristic solutions. Business Central fits the shoes of growing businesses and meets the needs of futuristic business operations through cloud platform and Power BI. As a matter of fact, Business Central is a complete package. It helps in quick integrations that optimizes your everyday operations and sharing of project data regardless of your device or location.
In other words, there is no area in Dynamics NAV missing in Business Central. More likely, the business management solution offers even more features and capabilities to improve user experience.
What is needed for smooth upgradation to Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Although Business Central is a very straight-forward cloud-based application and barely requires any special installation adjustments. Yet, here are a few basic requirements that will be critical:
- It goes without saying, you will initially need the assistance of a reliable and experienced partner with prolonged years of experience in ERP software.
- To move from on-premises to cloud, the use of secure internet connectivity is a must.
- If you plan to upgrade from selective versions of Dynamics NAV on-premises to Business Central online, your application customization will be handled by extensions.
The road to migration is imperative and indispensable
Businesses are undergoing an extraordinary transformation.
Customer needs are evolving every day. At some point, every organization must decide: do we keep doing what we are doing, or do we bring a change?
All in all, many companies are on the road to digital transformation and seeking solutions that readily adapt to an influx in data, users, and transactions for expanding their business. To achieve expansion, all your processes, resources, and tools must grow with your business goals; otherwise, you may end up with more challenging times and slow down your business.
Get professional guidance from de facto Infotech on adopting and migrating to Dynamics 365 Business Central. Send us your queries today at sales@defactoinfotech.